How to Utilize Quilts in Your Outdoor Space
Have you seen outdoor furniture lately? More and more, it looks like you have simply carried your sofa out the back door to the patio. I’m amazed at the options available for outdoor furnishings – from simple cushions to elegant furniture, and even outdoor lighting – it really looks like you’ve just moved your living room furniture outside for the summer. I don’t recommend doing that, but you can easily get the look with today’s fantastic outdoor furniture choices. Just take a look at Hank Azaria’s patio!
But what about quilts – can you use quilts outside? A simple Google search brought up many images of quilts in outdoor settings, and I even came across this fantastic tutorial on making an outdoor quilt:
There’s nothing like cozying up with a quilt beside your outdoor firepit on a cool summer evening, or laying on your outdoor lounger with a comfy quilted cushion and a good book on a lazy summer afternoon. So why not take your quilts outside! Here are some tips on enjoying a quilty outdoor summer:
- You don’t want to take that heirloom quilt outside – don’t even think about it!
- Scrappy flannel or denim quilts make great picnic blankets – keep one in your car for impromptu outdoor lunches at the park. They can easily be tossed in the washer and dryer to remove any dirt after.
- Don’t leave your quilt outside in the sunshine or overnight. The elements will quickly wreak havoc on the fabric.
- Make it small – use quilted cushions made from outdoor materials on your outdoor chairs, or quilted placemats on your outdoor table.
- Paint your furniture – if you want the quilt look but are worried about the elements, have some fun with outdoor paint!
Even one or two simple quilted features in your outdoor space will change the look. So go ahead – bring the indoors outside!